Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grandpa Nielsen

It was a sad day when Grandpa Nielsen left this world. Grandpa wasn't what you would call a fun loving kind of guy, but some of my best memories of him was when he was sarcastic. When he laughed you knew it was real.
We know he is in a better place and he is back with his parents. He was an only child, so I bet his parents were very happy to see him.

This is the last picture I have of grandpa. I am so happy that we stopped by, Ry ate onion soup, threw up and we got a picture.

Grandpa's funeral was very good. It was fun to see all my cousins and reminisce, Not necessarily under the circumstances but at least it brought us all together.

Grandpa is buried at the same mortuary as alot of Aaron's grandparents and great-grandparent.

Aaron's dad's grandparents are buried like 10 feet away from my grandpa. I thought that was very cool.

Grandma picked out a very nice casket for Grandpa to "sleep" in for awhile.

My cousins were the pall bearers.

Grandpa was in the service so there was a bugler there. It was very patriotic.

I quite liked it.

The servicemen were very respectful and sincere.

They take this job very seriously.

Grandpa's final resting place.

Ryan was playing with this little wind-mill.

At least he was busy.

Aaron took a walk with the boys to check on his Grandma and Grandpa Smith.

Last family picture with Grandpa.

Some flowers that Madi got from Grandpa.

Our family picture with Grandma.

Grandma is such a sweet lady and she was such a good wife to grandpa.

I am so thankful for the plan of salvation. That we know that they will be together forever!

Side Note.....

During the funeral the Grandkids and Great-Grandkids sang "Families Can Be Together Forever". While we were singing Madi looked across the room and saw her cousins crying. So, she started crying very hard. Ry was standing next to her and in front of Aaron. Ry looks back at Aaron and said, "Madi's crying!" very loud! We tried to ignore him the first time, but he said it again! He was so confused! Aaron busted up laughing and couldn't stop the whole second verse. It was a little awkward. Ry was just concerned, that's all!

4 comments:

The Key's said...

Very cute pictures - your grandpa was a great man and from what I could tell, was a great example to all of you. I was glad I got to know him for the little while that I did :)

Heather said...

Funerals suck. I never really had anyone close to me die until my Mom. Now death has such a different meaning to me. It makes me sad anytime anyone dies and it stirs up so many feelings. The grandkids also sang that song at my moms funeral and Carter cried. Just leave it to little boys to make light of a sensitive situation. It's always good to laugh, even when you should be crying!!! Your family looks beatiful.

Lyndsi said...

I have been meaning to text you! I'm so sorry for your family. That is awesome he is buried by Aaron as well. Heather is right. Your family is beautiful!

Montana Blakes said...

Thanks for this post Bonnie. It was really good to see you again! I hope we can see you again soon under different circumstances.